Tips for Recording PowerPoint Sessions
Here are some tips we've collected over time re'
use of PowerPoint in SnapKast.
- Embed links on slides by using fully qualified URLs
including http:// (e.g. www.SnapKast.com will not work, but http://www.SnapKast.com
- Embedded URLs should not span more than one line. You
might have to reduce the font size.
- Realize that the program that runs a clicked URL (e.g.
web browser or a video play) is not recorded in SnapKast. Your voice will
be recorded though.
- Some presenters like blank slide regions of full blank
slides included in a slide set to prompt for annotation/audio discussion or
illustration. Of course at any time the presenter may insert a blank slide
(i.e. whiteboard) while recording the session.
- Feel free to include many visuals, e.g. pictures, graphs.
- For PowerPoint files with many pictures: be sure
to compress picture objects when saving PowerPoint files. This can reduce
file size by a factor of 10 when there's a lot of inserted pictures (we saw
art history slide sets go from 200MB to less than 20MB). This reduction in
file size reduces disk space on the client computer while improving network
up/down load performance when uploading podcast files. Here are instructions
for MS-PowerPoint 2003:
- right-click on any object in the PowerPoint file,
- select 'Picture' tab;
- click Compress... button;
- select 'Apply to' 'All pictures in document', 'Change
resolution' 'Web/Screen', 'Options' 'Compress pictures' and 'Delete cropped
areas of pictures', and click 'OK'
(Note: 'Web/Screen' resolution is typically 96dpi. If the intent is to
print the PowerPoint file, then use 200dpi.).
- Consider using empty square bullets on lists so presenter
can check off items as discussed. This can be adjusted in the the PowerPoint
Slide Master, i.e. View > Master > Slide Master.
- When atypical fonts are used, embed them in the
PowerPoint file. Here are instructions to embed fonts in a MS-PowerPoint 2003
- File > Save > Tools > Save Options > Embed TrueType
- Do not insert movies and sounds in the PowerPoint file.
Post the movies or sounds where they are accessible via a URL (e.g. on a web
site) and include the full URL link in the PowerPoint slide. Use the same
method of URLs instead of embedding objects (e.g. OLE) in the PowerPoint file.
Likewise for PowerPoint slide narrations.
- Most PowerPoint slide show attributes are not supported,
e.g. action buttons, animations, transitions, hide slide. Simply create each
step in a slide building method as separate PowerPoint slides and engage the
students by using SnapKast slide navigation and pen/mouse annotations to produce
- Pen strokes on PowerPoint slides created with Insert
> Ink Annotations do not appear in SnapKast.
Copyright © 2006 Lecture123.com Corporation. All Rights Reserved.